Deal or No Deal, Referendums, Soft Brexit, Hard Brexit? Such uncertainty

I am sure you are just as confused as everyone else on this matter especially if you are based overseas in either BFG or SHAPE.

Forces Solutions has been planning for this for several months now has been working with various trading associations and HM Forces departments. Forces Solutions are at the forefront of the discussions taking place.  We have met with our Insurers to ensure we put all the actions in place to ensure you have all the correct documentation you require.

The best we can do is add as much certainty as we can at this moment.

Previously as part of the European Union all member states had agreed to honour in each other’s country that Third Party cover would apply throughout.  Most UK Insurance companies were happy to extend this to full cover that they were offering at home either at no additional cost or with a minimal charge.

If the UK was to leave the EU then the game changes and all drivers will be required to carry with them, proof of Insurance usually in the form of a Certificate of Insurance, a Green Card and a driving permit.

A Green Card is a document that proves a driver is insured when driving in any EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia, Andorra or Liechtenstein.

Green Cards can be obtained from us whilst we will try and get a Green card to you as soon as possible the advice from the Association of British Insurers (ABI) has warned its important to obtain this as soon as possible as those who travel without a Green Card may be breaking the law.

If you need any further Information about Green cards this please use the following links—british-insurers-issue-advice-to-customers-on-no-deal-brexit/

International Driving Permits

Another document you will need is an IDP (International Driving Permit) the Department of Transport has advised you will need to obtain an International Driving Permit to drive in the EU. You would need to show this in conjunction with your UK driving license and Green Card.

The IDP is issued by the Government, via Post Offices. Contact the Government for information on how to obtain one (insurers to do not issue IDPs).

It is important to note that there are different types of IDP. Which one you need depends on which country you are driving in:

  • A 1949 Convention IDP covers these EU countries: Republic of Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus; or
  • A 1968 Convention IDP (all other EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland)
  • A 1926 Convention IDP to drive in Liechtenstein

More information on how to obtain an International Driving Permit can be obtained from here.

We can appreciate this all can seem confusing but here at Forces Solutions, we understand the process and are happy to assist and help you through this.

On final point let us provide you with as much reassurance as we can that we are specialists in administering Insurance overseas and are fully engaged in the Brexit process from a Motor Insurance perspective to be able to have solutions in place for any situation you may find yourself in.

If you are an existing customer in the event of Brexit we will issue a green card automatically to all customers valid from the Brexit date to your renewal date.

We will be able to provide any documentation you require which is as accurate and issued in a timely fashion.

For more information please call us on +44(0) 116 473 5 473 or email

Back to all
Go to Top